American Shelby Rogers advanced to the quarter-finals of the San Jose Open with an upset win over Greek Maria Sakkari, the top seed, at San Jose State University Tennis Center on Thursday night.
Shelby Rogers won 6-1, 6-3 to score her third consecutive win over Sakkari, all of which have now come within the last 14 months.
The 29-year-old Rogers slammed 10 aces in the win including one on match point and saved all the three break points she faced against her serve, while converting four of 10 break points on Sakkari’s serve.
Shelby Rogers has a 2-0 edge over Anisimova in head-to-head
This was Rogers’ second big scalp this week, having beaten former US Open champ Bianca Andreescu (6-4, 6-2) in her first match this week.
Ranked No 45 in the world, Rogers’ win sets up an all-American quarter-final against Amanda Anisimova. Rogers has a 2-0 lead in head-to-head against Anisimova with both of those wins coming in three sets in tournaments in the United States (2021 Charleston and 2022 Miami).
San Jose WTA 500, other second-round matches (San Jose State University Tennis Center, hard, USD 757,900, most recent results first):
- Coco Gauff vs. Naomi Osaka
- Aryna Sabalenka (4) beat Caroline Dolehide (LL): 5-7, 6-1, 7-5
- Veronika Kudermetova (9) beat Claire Liu: 6-2, 7-5
- Ons Jabeur (3) beat Madison Keys: 7-5, 6-1
- Paula Badosa (2) beat Elizabeth Mandlik (Q): 6-2, 5-7, 7-6 (5)
- Daria Kasatkina (7) beat Taylor Townsend (Q): 6-4, 6-0
- Amanda Anisimova beat Karolina Pliskova (8): 3-6, 7-5, 6-1