Support for Kishida Cabinet dives to 36% after reshuffle: Mainichi poll


Prime Minister Fumio Kishida, front row center, and members of his reshuffled Cabinet are pictured at the prime minister’s official residence in Tokyo on Aug. 10, 2022. (Mainichi/Akihiro Ogomori)

TOKYO — Support for the Cabinet of Prime Minister Fumio Kishida has plummeted to 36%, the lowest since his inauguration last October, a poll conducted on Aug. 20 and 21 by the Mainichi Shimbun and Japan’s Social Survey Research Center has found.

The approval rating of the Cabinet stood at 36%, down 16 percentage points from the 52% rating in the previous poll conducted on July 16 and 17. The disapproval rating was 54%, up 17 points from the 37% recorded in the July poll .

Kishida reshuffled his Cabinet and the ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP)’s executives on Aug. 10. It is unusual for a poll conducted after a Cabinet reshuffle to show a drop in the approval rating compared to just before the reshuffle. Regarding the recent Cabinet reshuffle and new LDP executives’ appointment, 68% of respondents said they did not appreciate the changes while only 19% said they did. Thirteen percent said they were “not interested.”

When asked if they thought there were problems in the relationship between the LDP and the Family Federation for World Peace and Unification, more commonly known by its former name, the Unification Church, 64% said the relationship was “extremely problematic” while 23% said it was “somewhat problematic.” In contrast, 7% said it was “not so problematic,” while 4% said it was “not at all problematic” for a combined total of just 11%. Even among LDP supporters, more than 70% said there were problems in the relationship.

The sharp drop in the Cabinet’s approval rating is believed to have been influenced by a series of revelations of ties between the Unification Church and ministers as well as senior party officials.

Regarding the question of whether politicians should sever ties with the Unification Church, 86% of respondents said they “should sever ties,” while 7% said they “do not need to sever ties.” Even among LDP supporters, 77% said they should sever ties, far more than the 12% who said there was no need to do so.

In terms of party support, the LDP was supported by 29% of respondents, down 5 points from 34% in the July poll. Other parties included Nippon Ishin (Japan Innovation Party) at 13% (down from 15% in the previous poll), the Constitutional Democratic Party of Japan at 10% (up from 8%), the Japanese Communist Party at 5% (up from 3%), Sanseito at 4% (the same as in the previous poll), the Democratic Party for the People at 4% (up from 3%), Reiwa Shinsengumi at 4% (down from 5%), and Komeito at 2 % (down from 4%). The number of respondents who answered that they did not support any particular party reached 25% (20%).

The survey was conducted using a combination of text messages on mobile phones and automated voice questionnaires on fixed-line phones. A total of 536 valid responses were received from mobile phones and 429 valid responses from landlines.

(Japanese original by Nanae Ito, Political News Department)

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
BIELSKO1