Thanks to the Colorado Avalanche sweeping the Edmonton Oilers out of the Western Conference Final, there was no hockey last night. I know, we’re sad about that, too. But that does not mean the NHL world sat still.
• June 9 holds a special place in the hearts of Blackhawks fans for a couple reasons. On 6/9/1984 the Chicago Blackhawks held the third overall selection in the NHL Draft. Pittsburgh selected Mario Lemieux first. New Jersey selected Kirk Muller second. And then the Blackhawks selected a young man who grew up in their backyard. Eddie Olczyk, Edzo, saw his dream become a reality on this date 38 years ago when his hometown Blackhawks made him the third overall selection in the NHL Draft. He’s become such an important part of the Blackhawks organization and community since his playing career came to a close that we love acknowledging this date in Hawks’ history.
• It was also on this date 12 years ago that Patrick Kane shot a puck that… disappeared… into the net in Philadelphia and clinched the organization’s first Stanley Cup championship in 49 years. I was in Buffalo Wild Wings in Elmhurst for the game. Do you remember where you were when 88 threw his gloves in the air and celebrated?
• This morning we were greeted with reports that the Blackhawks have reached out to the Montreal Canadiens and Vancouver Canucks to request permission to interview an assistant coach in each organization. We discussed the resumes of Brad Shaw and Luke Richardson here.
REPORT: Blackhawks Request Interviews with Two Head Coaching Candidateshttps: //t.co/IIFUR6EPYQ pic.twitter.com/Ch9D8rEGqC
– Bleacher Nation Blackhawks (@BN_Blackhawks) June 9, 2022
• On Wednesday, Mark Lazerus from The Athletic tweeted the betting odds for the next head coach of the Blackhawks. Interestingly, interim head coach Derek King is at the top of the sheet at 3/1. General manager Kyle Davidson has said King will be part of the consideration set for the job once his circle of trust builds the profile of the next permanent head coach of the team.
– Mark Lazerus (@MarkLazerus) June 8, 2022
• We’ve already profiled four of the names that appear on the leaderboard.
• Tampa assistant Derek Lalonde
• Toronto assistant Spencer Carbery
• Former Rangers head coach David Quinn
• Pittsburgh assistant Mike Velluci
• According to the NHL’s graphics department and social media team, the Blackhawks aren’t either a) looking for a head coach, or b) worthy of any of the coaches they thought to include in this tweet from yesterday.
Which match would you like to see next season? 🤔 pic.twitter.com/WxCKR4iNpb
– NHL (@NHL) June 8, 2022
• Vegas oddsmakers like Hall of Famer Sergei Federov to be the next head coach of the Detroit Red Wings, according to the Detroit Free Press. That’s an interesting name to consider. Obviously his former teammate, now Detroit GM Steve Yzerman, knows him well.
• Are the Blackhawks bad enough? If Connor Bedard, the presumed No. 1 pick in 2023, is the next McDavid / Crosby, and everyone is sprinting to the bottom of the standings, does Chicago need to get worse to increase their chances? Interesting comments from the crew at The Athletic on Thursday.
If the goal is to tank for the No. 1 draft pick next season, are the Blackhawks actually bad enough or do they need to get even worse this offseason?@hayyyshayyyand I examine. https://t.co/J1ywRXeJ3m
– Scott Powers (@ByScottPowers) June 9, 2022
• The Rockford IceHogs announced three AHL signings on Thursday morning. Forward Riley McKay and defenseman Cliff Watson received one-year, AHL contracts (meaning they aren’t part of the Blackhawks’ organization). Goaltender Mitchell Weeks signed a two-year AHL contract.
• What does this mean? There’s more intrigue in the Hawks’ AHL affiliate signing a goaltender to a multi-year deal than the other two. With Kevin Lankinen and Collin Delia both heading to free agency and only Arvid Söderblom and Jaxson Stauber signed by the NHL club for next season, the addition of a non-NHL contract in net would seem to indicate the Hawks may be biding time until Drew Commesso opts to leave college for their overall organizational depth chart.
Welcome back Cliff Watson & Riley McKay and welcome to the Hogs, Mitchell Weeks! https://t.co/EgeRlyseJu
– Rockford IceHogs (@goicehogs) June 9, 2022
• Are you excited for Wade Miley to join the Cubs’ rotation?
Wade Miley is Returning Tomorrow Night – But the Cubs’ Rotation After That is All Out of Sorts – https://t.co/EVjtIDYjx6 pic.twitter.com/g1uKHQq1Yz
– Bleacher Nation (@BleacherNation) June 9, 2022