Six Cumberland County girls’ soccer teams have earned a spot in the NC High School Athletic Association state playoffs, which begin with first-round matches Monday.
Cape Fear, the United 8 Conference’s regular-season champion, is one of three Fayetteville teams to secure a home match in the first round.
SPRING SPORTS:High school sports: Complete coverage of the 2022 spring sports seasons
STATE RECORD:Seventy-First junior A’Jaylah Yates breaks 21-year-old state record with 11 goals in a game
LEADER OF THE TROJANS:With a ‘mom-like attitude,’ Pine Forest’s Holly Harwick has Trojans in position to end drought
Pine Forest, the All American Conference champion, and Gray’s Creek will also start the playoffs in Cumberland County.
Jack Britt, Seventy-First and Terry Sanford will hit the road Monday. Overall, 21 first-round matches will feature region teams.
The full brackets can be found on the NCHSAA website. Regional championships are scheduled for May 31. State championship matches are slated for June 3-4.
Here’s a look at the first-round schedule for Fayetteville teams and the rest of the region.
NCHSAA Girls Soccer Playoffs
- No. 9 Gray’s Creek vs. No. 24 Southern Alamance
- No. 10 Pine Forest vs. No. 23 Cardinal Gibbons
- No. 21 Jack Britt at No. 12 East Chapel Hill
- No. 6 Pinecrest vs. No. 27 Cary
- No. 28 Purnell Swett at No. 5 Holly Springs
- No. 7 Cape Fear vs. No. 26 Northern Nash
- No. 25 Terry Sanford at No. 8 Currituck County
- No. 28 Seventy-First at No. 5 Eastern Alamance
- No. 13 Lee County at No. 20 West Carteret
- No. 10 Harnett Central vs. No. 23 Orange
- No. 2 Union Pines Vs. No. 31 Smithfield-Selma
- No. 32 Western Harnett at No. 1 Hunt
- No. 1 Clinton vs. No. 32 Northeastern
- No. 8 South Columbus vs. No. 25 Goldsboro
- No. 24 Whiteville vs. No. 9 East Duplin
- No. 12 East Bladen Vs. No. 21 Graham
- No. 19 West Bladen Vs. No. 14 Franklin Academy
- No. 26 Midway vs. No. 7 North Johnston
- No. 7 Hobbton Vs. No. 26 Triangle Math & Science
- No. 21 East Columbus at No. 12 Chatham Charter
- No. 16 North Moore Vs. No. 17 Southside
Staff writer Rodd Baxley can be reached at email@example.com.