Boxing: Gervonta Davis set for December trial over alleged hit-and-run

FAVORITEallowing the judge’s rejection of a plea agreement on Wednesday, Gervonta Davis will now face a two-day trial for an alleged hit-and-run in November 2020.

The famous American boxer had agreed to a deal that would have spared him jail time, but the hearing judge rejected it. Only a few days had passed since Davis defeated Leo Santa Cruz by spectacular KO.

He is said to have been operating a Lamborghini Urus SUV when, at about 1:50 am, he allegedly ran a red light and collided with Toyota Solara, injuring four persons. He was consequently prosecuted in March 2021 with 14 counts of various traffic offences.

Several regional media outlets in Baltimore, including the Baltimore Banner, reported on Wednesday that the boxer attended a hearing where it was determined he will go on trial in December.

Davis agreed to a plea agreement that spared him from going to prison and instead gave him a one-year suspended sentence, two months of home detention, and work release.

This plea agreement related to accusations of leaving the scene of an accident involving injuries and property damage, operating a vehicle with a license that had been revoked, and running a red light.

Gervonta Davis plea deal got rejected by judge

When Jair Smithone of the accident victims, spoke during the hearing, the judge, Melissa Phinndecided to reject the plea agreement.

Davis’ civil settlements with three of the four crash victims were verified, but not with Smith, who was expecting at the time of the tragedy and is currently pursuing a civil claim against Davis.

She described to the judge how she requested Davis for assistance while looking him in the eyes before he ran away, leaving her with a severe knee injury that she is still dealing with today. She also needs surgery for her gallbladder.

“I begged Mr. Gervonta Davis, I looked him in his eyes,” Smith recalled, “I said, ‘I have to get home to my daughter, I’m pregnant.’ He never once came over to help me. He got his things and left.”

“She wants the court to know that she won’t be satisfied with anything other than a period of incarceration in order to make sure this person gets the message,” Gil AmaralSmith’s attorney added.

After hearing these reasons, Judge Phinn rejected the suggested plea agreement. Now, Davis will stand trial in December, the month in which he had intended to hold his next bout.

Although it is unknown whether any actual progress has been achieved, negotiations for a future confrontation with Ryan Garcia have been ongoing. Davis’ ability to box in December, let alone in a superfight with Garcia, is currently in doubt.

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
BIELSKO1