Bernard Tomic has hit back at Nick Kyrgios after he declared the Queenslander is “dead broke” as the war of words between the two bad boys of Australian tennis continues.
Kyrgios labels Tomic the “most hated athlete in Australia” last month and took another swipe at his former Davis Cup teammate on Friday, saying his tennis ability and his money had both evaporated.
Watch Tennis Live with beIN SPORTS on Kayo. Live Coverage of ATP + WTA Tour Tournaments including Every Finals Match. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now>
The return of serve came after Tomic challenged Kyrgios to a million-dollar boxing fight or one-off tennis match.
He’s not relevant anymore, he’s not good anymore, and he’s obviously got money issues. For someone who actually tried to stand up for him before and actually try and help him out… my family helped him out before. I paid for his flights back from Shanghai because he had no money, “Kyrgios said, as reported by The Daily Telegraph.
“First of all, I don’t know who’s going to put the million dollars for him because he’s dead broke. Second of all, I have bigger fish to fry. I’m trying to get ready for Wimbledon and the US Open. But one day if it happens I want 95 per cent of the cut because no one is watching it for him anymore.
“I’m making millions of dollars right now… tournaments are still paying me € 50,000 (AU $ 74,000) just to show up. I don’t need to get in the ring, I’m not desperate.
“I’m a professional tennis player, still playing at the highest level of sport. Bernard is not. “
Tomic responded on Instagram on Sunday night, posting a clip of his face on Will Smith’s body and Kyrgios’ face on Chris Rock’s body, replicating the Hollywood pair’s infamous Oscars slap.
Tomic then posted a screenshot of an article where Kyrgios was quoted calling him “dead broke”.
“Seriously … WTF,” Tomic wrote. “Why you throwing cheap shots Nicky boy.
“Yes you helped me out in Shanghai when we were mates playing doubles together. I lost my wallet, and I paid you back. Big deal (laughing emoji).
The same thing happened to you in Atlanta. I paid your way when you lost your card, which, if I was petty like you, you’d still owe me. But I don’t go telling the papers this.
“This is all childish.
“My offer still stands bro. Step up or shut up. “
Tomic had been in the tennis wilderness for years, revealing in December he was getting serious about his comeback to the court.
This year, the 29-year-old has been competing on the second tier Challenger Tour – rather than the top-level ATP Tour – failing to make it past the second round of any event.
Last month Tomic mocked Kyrgios in a bizarre social media call-out.
“The only logical explanation is that I’m his idol,” Tomic said in an Instagram video. “He’s always been in my shadow growing up.
“That’s why anytime someone mentions my name to him, it gets under his skin.
“He knows my style dominates his and he knows he will lose.”